Bigger Maps

Here you can request new feature you would like to see in game

Re: Bigger Maps

Postby Lopdo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:20 pm

problem is language is not math, it isn't exact enough, your bickering leads to no end and you are just arguing about interpretations of words. State some axioms and build your theories on top of that, but do it somewhere else :P
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

- Feel free to correct all my grammar mistakes -
Lopdo
Site Admin

Postby techgump » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:25 pm

It's not that I dont understand what you are trying to say Norman Bates, but you are still incorrect... Larger, in this case, in inferring a function of size. No other way around it. If it is not, and you make the statement if can be "either one", than you mean larger is either a function of size and/or this mysterious something else. What is that? I find it odd that you state it better to say "2x the size", when 2x the size is making it larger... as of course, larger is a function of size, so 2x larger is a correct statement meaning exactly the same as 2x the size. :)

To me, larger merely describes the mathematical equation used. IE: I want a map 2x smaller, is also in reference to size, but cutting it in 1/2 (not 1/3 with your math/relationship), with math of "Y x 1/2". Again, with this statement, I use smaller as a function of size to describe the size in which I want it increased or decreased. Hence, larger or smaller, are functions (or better descriptors) to describe size, and size is the variable. The size variable/multiplier is determined as over 1, or under 1 (Y/1, or 1/Y), based on the usage of the descriptor (smaller, larger, bigger, tinier, more, less, greater than, less than, etc).

Essentially what you are saying though is, if I want something 4x smaller, it would really be 1/5 the size, or 5x larger, would be 6x the size. To clarify though, the "4x larger" statement means we need to analyse what larger means. To me it means a description (function/descriptor) to size, which is the same as 4x larger in size, or 4x in size. Again larger is merely describing (or inferring) the 4x variable as a > or < the current state of the object at hand. If it does not mean this to you, what then does it mean? If it does not infer size, what does it infer. This is where the confusion begins for me.

I guess, for some reason when smaller or larger is used, you feel this means that the multiplier gets a +1 added to it. IE: 2x larger = (Y x (2+1)); 2x smaller = (Y x 1/(2+1)).
techgump

Location: 3rd planet from a G2V star within the inner rim of the Milky Way galaxy's Orion Arm's Gould Belt

Postby techgump » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:30 pm

And fair enough Lopdo, as I posted that previous post at pretty much the same time u chimed in. :D
techgump

Location: 3rd planet from a G2V star within the inner rim of the Milky Way galaxy's Orion Arm's Gould Belt

Postby Ratburntro44 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:18 pm

First off, I was the one who you are calling incorrect, not Norman Bates. Don't mistake me for a fictional psycho.

To give it a function: Tx larger would be described as f(t,x)=x+tx

I'm simply saying that one term is better because it is more clear. As Lopdo said, problem is language, not math.
Ratburntro44

Postby Norman Bates » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:44 pm

techgump wrote:It's not that I dont understand what you are trying to say Norman Bates, but you are still incorrect... Larger, in this case, in inferring a function of size. No other way around it. If it is not, and you make the statement if can be "either one", than you mean larger is either a function of size and/or this mysterious something else. What is that? I find it odd that you state it better to say "2x the size", when 2x the size is making it larger... as of course, larger is a function of size, so 2x larger is a correct statement meaning exactly the same as 2x the size. :)

To me, larger merely describes the mathematical equation used. IE: I want a map 2x smaller, is also in reference to size, but cutting it in 1/2 (not 1/3 with your math/relationship), with math of "Y x 1/2". Again, with this statement, I use smaller as a function of size to describe the size in which I want it increased or decreased. Hence, larger or smaller, are functions (or better descriptors) to describe size, and size is the variable. The size variable/multiplier is determined as over 1, or under 1 (Y/1, or 1/Y), based on the usage of the descriptor (smaller, larger, bigger, tinier, more, less, greater than, less than, etc).

Essentially what you are saying though is, if I want something 4x smaller, it would really be 1/5 the size, or 5x larger, would be 6x the size. To clarify though, the "4x larger" statement means we need to analyse what larger means. To me it means a description (function/descriptor) to size, which is the same as 4x larger in size, or 4x in size. Again larger is merely describing (or inferring) the 4x variable as a > or < the current state of the object at hand. If it does not mean this to you, what then does it mean? If it does not infer size, what does it infer. This is where the confusion begins for me.

I guess, for some reason when smaller or larger is used, you feel this means that the multiplier gets a +1 added to it. IE: 2x larger = (Y x (2+1)); 2x smaller = (Y x 1/(2+1)).

I think you are making things more complicated then nessecary. Just make a bigger map, and keep the math out of it.
Norman Bates

Postby techgump » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:02 am

Norman, sorry, for the name mix-up :D
techgump

Postby Norman Bates » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:01 pm

s'all right
Norman Bates

Postby DaGunner » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:47 pm

I want maps the size of AFRICA!!!!!!!!!!!!
DaGunner

Postby Ratburntro44 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:24 am

I don't want Lopdo to go broke spending money on the servers to host one of those maps...
Ratburntro44

Postby dsrta » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:44 pm

I agree the "huge maps" aren't to big at all. I would like to see the huge maps around 1.5-2.5x bigger.
dsrta

Previous

Return to Feature requests