HOW TO - Attemp a fix at rating bug(s)

Here you can request new feature you would like to see in game

HOW TO - Attemp a fix at rating bug(s)

Postby spinastar » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:11 am

-
Last edited by spinastar on Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
spinastar

Re: HOW TO - Attemp a fix at rating bug(s)

Postby Joriom » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:39 pm

Sorry to disappoint you but VW is using Glicko2 which was based on Elo rating system and is considered improvement because it takes more factions into consideration. Due to Elos "easy implementation" (it was calculated with pen and paper for chees games!) it has some nasty flaws which would make it even worse then our current rating system (fe. easier to cheat). Since we're using computers to do the math, we can use complex systems but... they need to be sable and implement perfectly. My guess is there is some trivial (yet, hard to find) error in Lopdos Glicko2 implementation (dangerous int->float cast? rounding problem? db storage "corrupts" values? dunno) - not system fault.
Check it out: Custom StandAlone Client for VortexWars! [WiP]
The Unofficial Official Vortex Wars 2 Chat!
Spoiler: show
Client:
Code: Select all
[b][size=140][color=#800000]Check it out:[/color][/size] [url=http://vortexwars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5117][size=120][color=#0040BF]Custom StandAlone Client for VortexWars! [WiP][/b][/color][/size][/url]
Chat:
Code: Select all
[url=http://us20.chatzy.com/12517185740288]The Unofficial Official Vortex Wars 2 Chat![/url]
Joriom

Postby kingsniff » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:31 pm

i agree with joriom on this.
kingsniff

Postby Lopdo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:03 pm

I went through my implementation at least 3 times in detail, I even rewrote it from scratch once, but the bug is still there. I tried to google it a bit and I found few people complaining about similar problems so perhaps it's not as stable as people think it is. This is however unlikely and there is either a bug in the implementation or I am using it wrong (there are few specifics that might be screwing with it, but I was careful when designing them... one can never know for sure tho)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

- Feel free to correct all my grammar mistakes -
Lopdo
Site Admin

Postby mattie » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:11 pm

Lopdo wrote:I went through my implementation at least 3 times in detail, I even rewrote it from scratch once, but the bug is still there. I tried to google it a bit and I found few people complaining about similar problems so perhaps it's not as stable as people think it is. This is however unlikely and there is either a bug in the implementation or I am using it wrong (there are few specifics that might be screwing with it, but I was careful when designing them... one can never know for sure tho)

My reaction to lopdo posting
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
hi
mattie

Postby Ratburntro44 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:40 am

Lopdo wrote:I went through my implementation at least 3 times in detail, I even rewrote it from scratch once, but the bug is still there. I tried to google it a bit and I found few people complaining about similar problems so perhaps it's not as stable as people think it is. This is however unlikely and there is either a bug in the implementation or I am using it wrong (there are few specifics that might be screwing with it, but I was careful when designing them... one can never know for sure tho)

Is there any chance it could have something to do with you making it impossible to lose point when you win? Just a wild guess.
Ratburntro44

Postby spinastar » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:22 pm

-
Last edited by spinastar on Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spinastar

Postby Lopdo » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:38 pm

Ratburntro44 wrote:

Is there any chance it could have something to do with you making it impossible to lose point when you win? Just a wild guess.

It's possible, I really don't know. I guess I could do some experiments to determine where it goes wrong
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

- Feel free to correct all my grammar mistakes -
Lopdo
Site Admin

Return to Feature requests