Game Type: Vector

Here you can request new feature you would like to see in game

Game Type: Vector

Postby Autumnwolf17 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:00 pm

Note: I typed this out right after waking up, in an effort to keep a good idea (or what I think is a good idea). If it is really stupid, forgive me, I will probably realize a little later.

Also, I know that this looks kind of too complicated (which a lot of the community would object to), but if you read, it's really just a simple idea that I've explained in a bit more detail for the sake of the proposition. If you have any questions or would like to add to or comment on the idea, feel free to post.

Concept: In a lot of games, players will end up with one or two big areas of regions and a bunch of much smaller ones. This happens especially often in full map games, where you start off with all your units spread randomly around the map. The idea of Vector mode is to use 'command bases' (substitute a better name whenever you come up with it) to focus the gameplay around one set of regions and force players to direct their attack and movement in one direction at a time (thus the name of the game type)

Movement: At the beginning of the turn, the player chooses one area that he controls to be their base for attack (the base can be marked by a glowing center, a striped pattern on the colored area, or anything else that's simple but noticeable). From that point on, the player moves and attacks other players just like normal, but can only make use of regions that either are directly connected with the base (by the player's own regions only) or regions that are connected by other moves. Areas that do not connect with the players base are unusable until they are made to connect. Defense boosts could still be placed on any area, even if not touching the base. After the turn is over, the base goes back to normal and the player can choose another base for the next turn.

Reinforcement: Reinforcement would vary between the different reinforcement styles (these rules for reinforcement seem the best to me, feel free to suggest better)

*Manual: The bases would be uninvolved for manual distribution. You would be able to place your units on any regions you want to, just like normal. This would allow for greater strategy as you would be able to prepare another area to attack without having to sacrifice your home completely.

*Borders: I'm a bit unsure about how this would work best. What I'm thinking right now is that the bases would be optional, as another layer of placement preference for the AI. With the base, you would have the choice of focusing your armies on one area (any region that touches the designated base) or you could play it like normal without the base and strengthen regions all around the board.

*Random: Random is completely random. Anything else wouldn't be random.

Advantages:
*Not overly complicated once learned, just like any other mode
*Allows for new (and in some ways better) strategy
*Helps new players to learn to focus their play and plan out their attacks
*Gives senior players an interesting new game style to master
*Brings new value and choice to attacks
*Reduces the ability the 'kamikaze players' have to ruin a game when they're losing, because they are restricted on the damage they can do
*The first players in full map will (usually) not be able to run everyone else's chance on their first turn anymore
*Would be a choice of game type, so if some people don't like it, they could play normal mode
*(And so on...)

Disadvantages:
*Games would, in some cases, take longer to finish because it takes longer to get things done
*Splitting your opponents becomes much more powerful (possible advantage too, for the strategy it adds)
*Bad luck would have a greater effect when trying to connect
*Some players might have a hard time figuring it out to begin with, especially new players

Possible variation: To further emphasize the idea of directional planned gameplay, it would be even more interesting if you could only attack and move from regions that are five or less regions from your base. I would prefer this, for the strategy and extra challenge, but I realize that a lot of people would hate it. Still, the variation would make a good challenge mode... and reduces the power of first turns even more.

So yeah, I've done my part, now tell me what you think. :)
Last edited by Autumnwolf17 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Wolf
Autumnwolf17

Re: Game Type: Vector

Postby Quack » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:23 pm

I like it!
Sarcasm: The art of insulting stupid people without them realising
Quack

Postby calleharnemark » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:57 pm

Sorry what would such a base do? I don't see how this would make the game any different? *feeling stupid*
Bases would work same as starting positions?
Or wait.. would this be only in full map then I think I would get the idea?
The guards gaze at you:"Prepare yourselves" If you get the game that is from you are awesome.
http:/us10.chatzy.com/12517185740288
Crystal Meth before: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) After: ( ͡O ͜ʖ ͡O)
Attention: the new and improved vortexwars chat!
calleharnemark

Postby Autumnwolf17 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:32 pm

calleharnemark wrote:Sorry what would such a base do? I don't see how this would make the game any different? *feeling stupid*
Bases would work same as starting positions?
Or wait.. would this be only in full map then I think I would get the idea?

Assuming you don't use the variation, the base would be much the same for the start. But if you get split, you will still have to choose a base (you choose one each turn), and if you can't reconnect, you only get to use the regions connected to wherever you chose. But you're right, it doesn't have as noticeable an effect in conquer games, as only a few splits are actually likely to happen.

Example: I have six regions at the bottom of the map and have been split, so I have four more at the top. I would choose a base at the bottom and do whatever with the regions that it linked to, but if I couldn't bridge the gap between the six regions and the group of four, then I wouldn't be able to use the four at all that turn. On the next turn, I get to choose where to place my base of attack for that turn and I'd continue from there.

The variation, however, would have a great effect on conquer games as well, because it gives you a much smaller amount of space with which to move and attack, so more planning is needed.
~ Wolf
Autumnwolf17

Postby Fangfallen » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:57 pm

VortexWars Rulebook

A Wolf at heart ~ RIP
Fangfallen

Postby Autumnwolf17 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:19 am

Not that anything in particular will be done no matter how good the idea is... but it is fun to pretend. :)
~ Wolf
Autumnwolf17

Postby Fangfallen » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:47 am

Autumnwolf17 wrote:Not that anything in particular will be done no matter how good the idea is... but it is fun to pretend. :)

True, I'm just glad I got to give it my stamp of approval :)
VortexWars Rulebook

A Wolf at heart ~ RIP
Fangfallen

Postby Autumnwolf17 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:32 am

Played a game today where the first player just blew out all his units to kill us. Really wish we'd had this mode
~ Wolf
Autumnwolf17

Postby GivinUDaHimelik » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:14 pm

lol i like this idea.........i think i understand it. dude submit this to lopdo to c what he thinks!
Meet me (GivinUDaHimelik, Himelik, OneNOnlyHimelik, NoSoliciting) in-game to ask about joining my clan the Killer Mantids. We're always looking for skilled, active players.

Check out our wars here.
GivinUDaHimelik

Postby Lopdo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:59 pm

please don't submit anything anywhere. As I said many times before, I read every suggestion
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

- Feel free to correct all my grammar mistakes -
Lopdo
Site Admin

Next

Return to Feature requests