Sports Thread (Proudly sponsored by The vWo)

Talk about anything that comes in your mind and isn't related to Vortex Wars

Re: Sports Thread

Postby British Bulldog » Thu May 29, 2014 11:13 pm

Fangfallen wrote:A last-round draw completed an undefeated nine rounds for GM Alexander Morozevich at the 15th Karpov Tournament!! *Feeling excited*
The winner's final round draw was not your average early handshake affair (as opposed to round 8, when he drew with Nepomniachtchi as White in 16 moves). All results were possible with open lines everywhere.

Chess is a game not a sport. Please dont spam the thread Fangfallen, as a mod you should know better!!! ;)
Hint: If someone keeps insulting you, mute him.
British Bulldog

Postby GivinUDaHimelik » Thu May 29, 2014 11:33 pm

Really only 7 major "real" sports. Football(american version), Soccer, Basketball, Golf, Hockey, Baseball and Tennis.
Meet me (GivinUDaHimelik, Himelik, OneNOnlyHimelik, NoSoliciting) in-game to ask about joining my clan the Killer Mantids. We're always looking for skilled, active players.

Check out our wars here.
GivinUDaHimelik

Postby British Bulldog » Thu May 29, 2014 11:40 pm

GivinUDaHimelik wrote:Really only 7 major "real" sports. Football(american version), Soccer, Basketball, Golf, Hockey, Baseball and Tennis.

Please can the word 'Soccer' be banned from this thread ;) Football is a real game, American 'Football' is rugby with extra padding! :lol:

And Himelik how could you leave out Cricket!!! :D
British Bulldog

Postby Fangfallen » Fri May 30, 2014 1:19 am

British Bulldog wrote:
Fangfallen wrote:A last-round draw completed an undefeated nine rounds for GM Alexander Morozevich at the 15th Karpov Tournament!! *Feeling excited*
The winner's final round draw was not your average early handshake affair (as opposed to round 8, when he drew with Nepomniachtchi as White in 16 moves). All results were possible with open lines everywhere.

Chess is a game not a sport. Please dont spam the thread Fangfallen, as a mod you should know better!!! ;)

Most consider something a sport based on the idea it must require physical exertion. That's a fairly arbitrary standard, considering each sport requires a different degree and focus of physical strength. Is American football more of a sport than baseball? If not, then chess is as much of a sport as curling (curling has even been called "chess on ice"). Right now, there are five recognized "mind" sports by the International Olympic Committee: go, draughts, poker, bridge, and chess. It seems that since people don't notice the mental torture players go through in chess matches, it can't be a sport. Championships require multiple matches, each requiring an extensive amount of focus. Some people disagree (usually casual players and non-players), but tournaments are exhausting. Chess is truly a sport of endurance. Chess is a wonderful mix of sport, art, and science.
VortexWars Rulebook

A Wolf at heart ~ RIP
Fangfallen

Postby Joshua » Sat May 31, 2014 8:05 pm

Fangfallen wrote:
British Bulldog wrote:

Most consider something a sport based on the idea it must require physical exertion. That's a fairly arbitrary standard, considering each sport requires a different degree and focus of physical strength. Is American football more of a sport than baseball? If not, then chess is as much of a sport as curling (curling has even been called "chess on ice"). Right now, there are five recognized "mind" sports by the International Olympic Committee: go, draughts, poker, bridge, and chess. It seems that since people don't notice the mental torture players go through in chess matches, it can't be a sport. Championships require multiple matches, each requiring an extensive amount of focus. Some people disagree (usually casual players and non-players), but tournaments are exhausting. Chess is truly a sport of endurance. Chess is a wonderful mix of sport, art, and science.

So, can I call Gary Kasparov an athlete? Or just a mathlete?

In my experience, whether something is considered a real sport or not depends on what country you're in. I know many Americans that consider Football (English) not to be a real sport because people don't get hurt - Despite the fact that they use padding in American Football, and over here we play Rugby. But that's a whole other argument.
Xerxes:Let us reason. It would be a waste. It would be madness for you and your troops to perish because of a misunderstanding. There is much our cultures could share.
Leonidas:Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
Joshua

Postby Ballsack » Sat May 31, 2014 11:36 pm

Cricket is one of the most played sports in the world haha givin your lost ;)
“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”
― Dr. Seuss
Ballsack

Postby GivinUDaHimelik » Sat May 31, 2014 11:40 pm

Cricket is a ripoff of baseball ;)
Meet me (GivinUDaHimelik, Himelik, OneNOnlyHimelik, NoSoliciting) in-game to ask about joining my clan the Killer Mantids. We're always looking for skilled, active players.

Check out our wars here.
GivinUDaHimelik

Postby Ballsack » Sat May 31, 2014 11:44 pm

GivinUDaHimelik wrote:Cricket is a ripoff of baseball ;)

Hahaha get your history right ;)
apparently 1,849,909,132 People watched the cricket world cup final my god!
“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”
― Dr. Seuss
Ballsack

Postby British Bulldog » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:22 am

Baseball is actually just a cheap rip off of rounders, the game girls used to play at school! Lol

And Ballsack I love good Irish cricketers they become 'English' like all our other good players! Same as Andy Murray is British when he wins but Scottish when he loses lol

PS George Groves got knocked the f**k out!
British Bulldog

Postby Ballsack » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:13 pm

Then they come back to Ireland when England get fed up with them like Ed Joyce.. Tbh even Rory Mcilroy if he wins his English and if he loses his Irish, you could say the same about Clarke when he won the British open or Mcdowell when he won those us opens. And Groves had one good round all match he shouldn't of turned up for the fight. It also looks like Remy is going to Arsenal.. good signing for them in my eyes.
― Dr. Seuss
Ballsack

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion