Doom

Talk about anything that comes in your mind and isn't related to Vortex Wars

Where should I go?

I should turn back to my neighborhood.
No votes
I should check out the convenience store.
40%
I should explore the liquor store.
60%
I should continue my trek forwards to the city.
No votes

Total votes : 5

Doom

Postby Fangfallen » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:20 pm

Doom

Doom is a story that is driven by a series of polls, it is written in the first person view. When you vote in the poll, please vote for the action that you would most likely take.

Backstory:
Spoiler: show
The world is ending, a viral outbreak has killed off 95% of the world's population. Luckily you are one of the lucky 5% who are immune. Even though you are immune are many other dangers you must avoid, starvation, exposure, hostile survivors, it won't be easy. In addition to all of this the electric grid is sporadic at best, so energy is sparse and plumbing is nonexistent, many sewer-pipes have ruptured; causing much water to be contaminated with raw sewage.

Story line:
Day I.

Survival Diary Entry 1. I've been in my house for awhile now, I'm running low on food and I'm not sure where to go, all I know is that if I stay here in this little neighborhood I am in risk of being raided, or worse.

"I don't know what I'm going to do", I think to myself, I suppose I'll sleep on it and in the morning make my decision.
I'm hungry and I have only 2 days of food in my backpack. I have to ration it.
Day II.
Survival Diary Entry 2. I've decided that my best option is to leave my house and forage among the houses in my neighborhood, it may be awkward to "steal" from my neighbors and friends, but they aren't there anymore.

I walk out of my house cautiously, just in case there's anyone else around that's doing what I'm about to do, I figure the best place to start is the house across the street. That's the house that crazy old man lived in, I think to myself. I think he has a gun, that could be useful. As I walk across the street a stray dog runs by my path, "What the Hell?!", I scream. The dog tears by me without even looking back. I continue across the street realizing that I was more shocked by the sound of my own voice then the dog. It's been so long since I've heard a human voice. I try the front door of the house but it's locked, so I go around back and break the window. Inside I find myself in the backroom, it seems to be used as an office. There's a small safe on top of an old teak desk, I search for a key and find it under the safe, "Stupid old man" I think. I open the safe and find a nice quality handgun inside, it's a 9mm. As I stop to admire the gun, I hear the front door being unlocked, before I can hide the owner of the key walks in on me, it's not an old man, it's a middle aged man with some nasty scars across his face, and he has a shotgun.. "I wonder if this 9mm is loaded?", I think to myself. The guy shouts at me, and seems irate... He raises his shotgun and I can see his finger slowly tightening on the trigger, I decide it's better him than me and I quickly point and shoot, BANG, the gun goes off and strikes the man in the chest, the momentum and sheer pain knock him backward and he begins to bleed out on the ground, he is dead within seconds. The shock of what I have done sets in, and I throw up. Displeased with myself I curse outloud. I then realize with a start that the noise I caused may attract looters, I grab my backpack which I dropped in the confusion and begin to run out the door, I stop however, and grab the shotgun, "Not like he's going to need it", I think to myself. As I run out the door, the dog runs by again. That dog should be dead, there's nothing alive out here for it to eat I think, "Somebodies been feeding it, and somehow that somebody is getting food I run back to my house to finish gathering what I have.

Day III.

I discover I have two more days of food, which is good since I have also decided to follow that dog. I go outside and rummage around in the yards of nearby houses while I wait for the dog to come by again, during this little search I discover a rusted swiss army knife on someones patio table, as I try to open it, it comes loose and slices my finger "Ow!", I yell, my hand is oozing blood at a steady pace, I rip off a section of my lower shirt and tie it around my finger, at that moment I see the dog off in the distance, I run after it after I grab my bag. The dog leads me to a small white cottage, it bolts through a hole in the fence. Precautiously I get out my 9mm and I freeze in the front drive, "So are you going to shoot me or what young man?", rasps an old little lady. "I've almost finished cooking dinner on my old propane stove and I'd rather like to eat it before I die, so would you mind waiting?". I put up my gun and reply, "Uhmmm, I don't plan on killing you ma'am, I'm just being cautious, I almost got my brains blown out by a shotgun yesterday.
"Brains?", replied the old lady questioningly, "I doubt that" she chuckled, "Well then young man, you may call me Mimi, that's what my grandkids called me, before the plague hit us." "Oh and if you feel comfortable enough you can come inside and talk with me, it's not safe out here, there's men about with little pistols", she replied while looking at me meaningfully... I choose to walk inside with the lady, as I walk in she points me to a little table, I sit down at it cautiously. "Boy, do you want something to eat?" She calls over her shoulder. "No thank you ma'am", I reply" Wonder if I should of taken it, but it may have been poisoned", I think to myself. "It's getting late now sonny, if your going to stay you might as well use my sons old bedroom down the hall", she says kindly. At that moment I hear the low roll of thunder and a light sprinkle beginning outside. "I just may do that", I reply. After I cautiously stake out my surroundings in the boys bedroom I hide my backpack and take a nap with my 9mm in my hand.

Day IV.

I wake up with my finger searing in pain. I rip off the makeshift bandage I had made and see my finger yellowed and puss filled. Crap, it's getting infected, I think to myself. "Lad, do you want me to look at that for you?", the old lady says kindly. I jump at the sound of her voice and turn slowly to see her sitting in an easy chair with a glock in her lap. I am surprised at her uncanny ability to sneak up on me. "How long have you been there?", I ask slowly while searching quietly for my 9mm. "Looking for this?", she asks while twirling my gun around her index finger. "As a matter of fact I am", I reply. Relieved, I see my backpack still hidden under the mattress. "Boy, I know better than to let an armed man be in my house, I took your gun while you were sleeping, I don't need you snooping through my house armed. Now, I'm fine with you staying but you need to tell me everything so I know I can trust you, the fact that you haven't shot me is a good start. Now get over here and let me clean out that infection before you curl up and die in my corner. Shocked at the spirited old lady I tell her my story, of how the rest of my family died and that I was all that is left, of how I have had to kill in order to survive. She was kind enough to clean out my cut and bandage it for me, she then returned my gun and said "You're going to need this, boy. Now, if you want to continue staying here you're going to need to contribute to the pool, my little garden can't feed the two of us for long." "I'll see what I can do ma'am, I can continue rummaging throughout the other houses, or if you want I can leave you be, I'm sorry for bothering you to begin with", I said, "the only reason I came here was because your dog looked tasty." I added laughing.
The old woman replied, "Tasty?" "You think my dog looks tasty?!" "It was a joke ma'am.", I replied uneasily.
"My dog and I have been through hell lately and you dare to even think to eat my only friend!" "Boy you better get out of my $$#@#!$ house or I'll shoot you and we'll see whose tasty!" "Woah now!", I shout, "There's no need for violence."
"Scram!" "Before I blow whatever brains you have left out!" I slowly backed up out the door, down the drive, and then turned to run down the street. At that moment the lady started unloading her magnum at me. I ducked behind a house and ran down the side yard. I decided that I should leave the neighborhood altogether and see what else is out there...

Day DCCCIII
After spending over two years deciding what I was going to do next, I opted for venturing out to the city. Why the city? The city has a lot of supplies and I could definitely make use of them.

I woke up with a start. I brushed the dirt from my eyes as I slowly stood up from the ditch I was lying in. Disoriented, I looked around, trying to understand what was going on... Memories flooded my mind as I struggled to comprehend time.
My surroundings were familiar, but looked alien as a result of the ravages of age. Behind me was the brick wall that marked the entrance to my neighborhood, once endowed with my communities name, it now lies crumbling and covered in moss. Ahead of me and to my left is the long road to the city. Mindlessly, I stumble in the direction of that which once was the center of my society.

Miles down the road, I come to an intersection. On one hand I have a small convenience store, it's windows are shattered Ave there is evidence of a major fire, long since burned out. On the opposite side of the street there is a liquor store, aside from the unkempt landscaping around it, it is relatively unscathed. Ahead of me, is miles more of road and ultimately, the city.

Equipment:
Weapons: Fists, 9mm handgun (17 bullets), 2 barrel shotgun. (8 rounds)
Food and water supply: 2 days.
Allies: Possibly one old woman. - Alive
Enemies: One armed man. - Killed

The poll will remain open until I deem that one of the options has gotten a large enough majority vote.
Last edited by Fangfallen on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 11 times in total.
VortexWars Rulebook

A Wolf at heart ~ RIP
Fangfallen

Re: Doom

Postby chris1726354 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:11 am

This is interesting. I think the polls should last a day each.
I always read read as read first before I read read as read instead.

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.
chris1726354

Postby Fangfallen » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:01 am

chris1726354 wrote:This is interesting. I think the polls should last a day each.

Maybe a little longer, not all the active members on forum get on each day, maybe 2 or 3 days each.
VortexWars Rulebook

A Wolf at heart ~ RIP
Fangfallen

Postby Fangfallen » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:01 pm

Majority vote was to "Leave my house and forage among the other houses in the neighborhood" I will update front page and make a few changes now.

*Edit*

I updated front page, I'm eager to see how you guys respond to the current dilemma!
VortexWars Rulebook

A Wolf at heart ~ RIP
Fangfallen

Postby Ratburntro44 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:43 pm

Maybe it would be a good idea to let us change our votes.
Ratburntro44

Postby Fangfallen » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:38 am

Ratburntro44 wrote:Maybe it would be a good idea to let us change our votes.

xD
VortexWars Rulebook

A Wolf at heart ~ RIP
Fangfallen

Postby Fangfallen » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:40 am

I just fixed the product of my foolishness :)
VortexWars Rulebook

A Wolf at heart ~ RIP
Fangfallen

Postby jwl1000 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:43 am

cool.
kill him right now!!!!
Boys, we in this bidnez for one thing only: Ws
jwl1000

Postby Fangfallen » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:59 am

Looks like this will get interesting! I hope we find food in the house as well :) (I use a random number generator to do chance drops/finds, let me know if you know of a better system)
VortexWars Rulebook

A Wolf at heart ~ RIP
Fangfallen

Postby Guest77 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:13 am

I'm the only nice person...
Guest77

Next

Return to General discussion