StandAlone Client - a breath of fresh air!

Debate tactics, organize matches, ask questions...

StandAlone Client - a breath of fresh air!

Postby Joriom » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:04 am

Hello everyone!

How many times have you wanted to play Vortex Wars full screen without wite bars on sides, or pixelated graphics? Or maybe you even never succeded in running VW in resolution bigger than default 800x600? If you're reading this topic despite this threadbare topic and opening - I've got surprise for you! There might be, a chance! Chance for change!

I would like to share my idea with you guys. Idea for brighter future. I would like to present you guys: VortexWars StandAlone Client, v0.1!

(click to enlarge)

It's not the trival matter of stretching current Flash client to fit whole screen. My idea includes rewriting whole client from scrath in different technology. It would not replace current Flash client but would be reasonable alternative for more demanding players. As you can see on the screenshoot I've already started some early workings. You can compare my prototype to the left, with oryginal Flash client to the right. Atm its embeded into 1024x768 window (which is still almost 30% increase in size, without loosing quality!) but I'm scripting it in a way that will allow later single-click porting it for higher resolutions, up to FullHD and wide screens.

Before you get excited - a bucket of cold water: it's still Work in Progress and will demand instalation with .NET 4.0 and XNA. Those are aboth Microsoft frameworks. The good news on the other hand is it can all be packed into one-click install package and the .NET framework is distributed with new versions of Windows anyway. There are also many successful games written using XNA like: Terraria, Gnomoria, Magicka, Pokemon 3D, Shizoid and so on.

Ok, but all that trouble just to scale up the game window? Is it really worth it? Well, remember that Flash has its limitations. When using technology like .NET C# you're limited only by your skill and imagination (and server providers ofc! Thanks PlayerIO!). This could mean things like better stability, higher performance, less freezes / disconnects and better information handling during errors, but also more features! I've got my personal list of ideas I would love to implement into VW SAC (which are all technically possible ofc!) including, but not limited to: better chat handling (colors, alerts, emotes! embeded external global chat?), offline replay system (save moves done by players into text file and import it later or send on forum!) and my personal favourite and final boss: working AI! As in offline match against computer (no exp, shards, ranking - just training when you can't find oponenets online!) Possibilities are endless.

So back to reality. What do we have now? Atm, after having fun this weekend I've managed to implement connection module which allows loging onto your account, creating new Lobby room or joining existing one and readying up. All of this just by spoofing some packets sent between Flash and PlayerIO server. With a bit of hard work and help from community / moderators or preferably few hints from Lopdo himself - its possible in matter of weeks. It's not as far away as it seems.

Just for clarification: community help will be limited to ideas and theoretical problem solving. According to current agrement I've made with Fangfallen, developement will be strictly supervised by moderators and any working versions of WV SAC will not be released publicly before acquireing Lopdos green light.

I'm looking forward to your ideas, opinions and criticism.

Thanks in advance,
Joriom

Already implemented features:
  • Windowless full screen mode in all supported resolutions
  • Support for any custom resolution
  • Lobby chat
Things made of cardboard and ductape
(I will probably remake those later on, I just need them at least working for now!)
  • GUI - Graphical User Interface (no "tabbing" through login/password fields, no Enter-to-send/confirm, styling things is a mess...)
Ideas to be implemented:
  • Better chat coloring (mods, friends, player from personal ban list, etc)
  • Better name / highlight phrase detection and message notification (personal list of phrases that are considered important to "pop" with sound if window not active)
  • Multi-room support while waiting for game - you can be waiting for your game to start but still read and write in global lobby char or monitor games list!
  • Persistent chat history - it will not clear after you join game - scroll conversations you heared before your game started (or possibly the conversation from game itself as well?)
  • Export/Import personal ban list / friends list to text file. Easy sharing with others & possibility for working official forum blacklist!
  • Togglable auto-kick players already kicked from this game after they rejoin.
  • More statistics! Keep track of your wins with every race and achievements progress! Server already keeps track of that, why not show it!
  • Replay mode (save every move you've seen during the game straight to file and load it later in spectator mode / share with friends)
  • Up for debate: More information during match for every player: total number of regions & troops on board, ammount of borders, units still needed to "max out".
  • Up for debate: More information during match: ammount of borders you can fully suply, percentage chance of winning selected battle (small, semi-transparent hint box on mouse over, taking into account race bonuses and boosts)
  • Aftermatch statistics: battles won/lost during attack/defense, troops distributed/lost, number of times where your or enemies race bonus really played its role (fe. you won 8v8 with one point with arachnids - without attack bonus you would loose!)
  • Final Boss: Offline match vs AI (practice mode)
  • Some mod stuff I were asked to implement so we're all easier to manage by mods & mods are easier for us to contact.
  • Togglable auto-kick players from your banlist (thanks to THIS topic by Aygor)
  • The ability to tweak a game's settings in that specific games lobby. But any changes will un-ready all players. Only hosts can do so. (thanks to THIS topic by Happiness)
Current work in progress:
  • Mod feature: Omnipresence
  • Solving custom User Interface implmentation problems (I think it will stay here for quite some time!)
Last edited by Joriom on Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
Check it out: Custom StandAlone Client for VortexWars! [WiP]
The Unofficial Official Vortex Wars 2 Chat!
Spoiler: show
Client:
Code: Select all
[b][size=140][color=#800000]Check it out:[/color][/size] [url=http://vortexwars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5117][size=120][color=#0040BF]Custom StandAlone Client for VortexWars! [WiP][/b][/color][/size][/url]
Chat:
[url=http://us20.chatzy.com/12517185740288]The Unofficial Official Vortex Wars 2 Chat![/url]
Joriom

Re: StandAlone Client - a breath of fresh air!

Postby Fangfallen » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:08 am

I look forward to your progress on this undertaking.
VortexWars Rulebook

A Wolf at heart ~ RIP
Fangfallen

Postby Drone6o3 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:25 pm

*bows*

Dear Joriom,
I LOVE YOU!!! <3 :shock:
I AM YOUR NEW BESTFAN!!!! :D
NOTICE ME SENPAI!!! :P

:lol:
Drone6o3

Postby Joriom » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:45 pm

どうぞよろしくおねがいします Drone6o3-くん
Client:
[b][size=140][color=#800000]Check it out:[/color][/size] [url=http://vortexwars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5117][size=120][color=#0040BF]Custom StandAlone Client for VortexWars! [WiP][/b][/color][/size][/url]
Chat:
[url=http://us20.chatzy.com/12517185740288]The Unofficial Official Vortex Wars 2 Chat![/url]
Joriom

Postby Lopdo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:35 pm

wow, good job :) if you need some clarification about some of the more obscure parts work, let me know. I might be able to help
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

- Feel free to correct all my grammar mistakes -
Lopdo
Site Admin

Postby Fangfallen » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:42 pm

I believe you've received that final, "go ahead!"

On a side note: Nice to see you back Lopdo, it's been awhile.
VortexWars Rulebook

A Wolf at heart ~ RIP
Fangfallen

Postby Drone6o3 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:37 pm

Joriom wrote:どうぞよろしくおねがいします Drone6o3-くん

:') That is one of the nicest things I have ever translated. Thank you for not cursing at me! :lol:
Drone6o3

Postby Joriom » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:33 pm

Lopdo wrote:wow, good job :) if you need some clarification about some of the more obscure parts work, let me know. I might be able to help

Thank you a lot. I'll try not to bother much, as I can find out most of the things from spacket spoofing but I'll definetly ask for help if I get stuck with some bigger structures like map data If I can't figure them out in reasonable time myself (dat sentence complexity level). It's very reasuring to know I can count on help :-)
Client:
Chat:
Joriom

Postby Ratburntro44 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:11 pm

Lopdo wrote:wow, good job :) if you need some clarification about some of the more obscure parts work, let me know. I might be able to help

Translation: Wow, someone is doing free work on my game :lol: :twisted:
Ratburntro44

Postby highlander » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:55 pm

Ratburntro44 wrote:

Translation: Wow, someone is doing free work on my game :lol: :twisted:

Yeah Joriom is great at creating free work;

joriom admitting to creating a loop which is hacking.jpg

joriom 3.jpg

joriom 4.jpg

Particularly when its Hacking a game with a spam-bot.
Scotland The Brave

Hint;Stop being abusive /bullying and you'll not be reported.
highlander

Next

Return to General discussion