The Beat Goes On

Debate tactics, organize matches, ask questions...

Re: The Beat Goes On

Postby GivinUDaHimelik » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:21 pm

BeatlesFan wrote:
BeatlesFan wrote:I am going to bring back Last Clan Standing, but am waiting for many of you to go on your winter break so that you can be more active.

LCS II will start on December 21 - So plan to be active on winter break as you fight to prove that you are the Last Clan Standing!

No point in doing this anymore. I seriously doubt that there are two clans that could put together enough players at the same time to get in a best of three match. Even if they can, no need for a tournament because there aren't three (or more) clans that could pull it off.

KM wouldn't have a problem doing LCS as long as it is between 4-7pm EST (-5).
Meet me (GivinUDaHimelik, Himelik, OneNOnlyHimelik, NoSoliciting) in-game to ask about joining my clan the Killer Mantids. We're always looking for skilled, active players.

Check out our wars here.
GivinUDaHimelik

Postby BeatlesFan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:47 am

>>It appears that many of you know, so I might as well explain the whole "Big Name Player" mystery.

>>I will be redundant for those that already know part or all of the story.

>>Recently there was a new troll account that was aimed at attacking Highlander. The forum (and somewhat in the game too) player made a poll about HL. Then the troll started posting on multiple threads. The postings were all designed to flame and bait. It also included profanity and was off-topic. There were about 15 postings. This troll was still in the process of spamming threads when I logged in. I considered just banning the account, but the postings as a whole were NOT acceptable for 13 year olds, so I had to deal with some of them individually.

>>I decided in the end to just delete all of the posts one-by-one since there were only about 15. Then I banned the account.

>>The player then just created another similar named account, but I was online when it happened, so I just immediately banned it too.

>>The first bad news is that this system is not set up well for moderators. I am able to check a number of things, including IP addresses, but it is not easy. I went through each of the 15 postings prior to deletion and noted the ips as well as the ip of the two accounts.

>>I went on a hunt. I had to manually go through suspect players based on past activity and hunches and compared ips. You guys don't always log in the same way, so your ips are often different even for the same player. After checking all of the likely suspects I came up empty.

>>Then the 3rd account by this player came on. I like a mystery involving some detective work, so I sorted the membership list by the top posters and went through one-by-one of those I would not suspect and I found my match. Well, not exactly. Your ip addresses are all different, even for you, you likely have many. I found an ip that was so close it was almost a twin of the other. If these two accounts are not the same player, they are at least sharing the same connection.

>>So I banned the main "big name player" forum account for 30 days along with a message asking for an explanation. I then posted on the forum "outing" the player. Whether it was exactly this player or whoever is sharing his connection, he certainly is the violator or knows who it is.

>>I quickly rethought this and removed the post and the ban.

>>So, why would someone share the same connection and be innocent? Well, a number of reasons. Perhaps he has a clan with his friends at school and they all log in from the school internet. It might not be who I think it is, but rather someone in his school that also plays Vortex Wars.

>>So I messaged a few players including Highlander, Fangfallen and the Big Name suspect.

>>Based upon my history with the Big Name I absolutely did not suspect him at all and was surprised to see a match (or close enough anyway). HL was also surprised. He had no negative interaction with this guy and they both are friendly to each other.

>>So what happened?

>>In the end what happened is this: I was able to independently track down his ISP and that of the offending player from the forum information available to moderators. The Big Name and I exchanged a number of PMs and he revealed to me how his internet is set up and the name of the provider. It all matched. It turns out that he has a rare situation. This ISP has a limited number of IP addresses and shares them with up to 1,024 different people. They might not even be in the same location. I have never come across this, but that is how his internet carrier operates.

>>So, I believe it is not the Big Name Player Fluppa. He is innocent as far as I can tell. He just happens to share an unusual internet provider with another guy that is a troll.
In Vortex Wars: 50% of the game is luck. 50% is skill. The other 50% is math.
BeatlesFan

Postby >(FM)< » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:46 am

BeatlesFan wrote:>>I went on a hunt. I had to manually go through suspect players based on past activity and hunches and compared ips. You guys don't always log in the same way, so your ips are often different even for the same player. After checking all of the likely suspects I came up empty.

I bet a biscuit I was one of your hunches.
PREACH THE TRUTH
Angels forever. AoA - Don't follow me on Tumblr, Seriously
ImageImageImage
>(FM)<

Postby BeatlesFan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:57 am

youwin.png
youwin.png (110.85 KiB) Viewed 10078 times
BeatlesFan

Postby Autumnwolf17 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:17 pm

Spoiler: show
BeatlesFan: *bans account*
Theveryverybest: *newest member*
BF: *bans new account*
BF: *checks BritishBulldog*
BritishBulldog: *has different IP*
BF: *refreshes screen*
BF: *reloads page*
BF: *checks on different computer*
BF: *asks Fang to confirm*
FangFallen: *reads through the entire forum*
FF: *can't find proof*
BF: *checks Guest77*
BF: *checks FunnyMan*
BF: *checks AutumnWolf17*
BF: *checks like five other names*
BF: *calls Lopdo*
Lopdo: *is busy skiing or whatever they do in Slovakia*
BF: *calls BritishBulldog*
BF: *interrogates for two hours*
BF: *finally hangs up*
BF: *goes through entire member list*
BF: *sees Fluppa shares same IP*
BF: *bans BritishBulldog, on principle*

:lol: :lol: :lol:
~ Wolf
Autumnwolf17

Postby Fangfallen » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:08 pm

Autumnwolf17 wrote:
BeatlesFan: *bans account*
Theveryverybest: *newest member*
BF: *bans new account*
BritishBulldog: *has different IP*
BF: *refreshes screen*
BF: *reloads page*
BF: *checks on different computer*
BF: *asks Fang to confirm*
FangFallen: *reads through the entire forum*
FF: *can't find proof*
BF: *checks Guest77*
BF: *checks FunnyMan*
BF: *checks AutumnWolf17*
BF: *checks like five other names*
BF: *calls Lopdo*
Lopdo: *is busy skiing or whatever they do in Slovakia*
BF: *calls BritishBulldog*
BF: *interrogates for two hours*
BF: *finally hangs up*
BF: *goes through entire member list*
BF: *sees Fluppa shares same IP*
BF: *bans BritishBulldog, on principle*

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That is almost accurate.
VortexWars Rulebook

A Wolf at heart ~ RIP
Fangfallen

Postby BeatlesFan » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:52 am

My trusty desktop computer is dead! A striped blue and white set of wavy lines freeze the screen about every ten minutes. I took it in so the pros could check it out. Now for $69.99 I have official confirmation. It would cost more to repair than just to buy a new one. So tomorrow is new computer day! I am working off of my phone and an old laptop, but a new Vortex Wars compatible setup is coming tomorrow.
BeatlesFan

Postby PandorasBx » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:08 am

BeatlesFan wrote:My trusty desktop computer is dead! A striped blue and white set of wavy lines freeze the screen about every ten minutes. I took it in so the pros could check it out. Now for $69.99 I have official confirmation. It would cost more to repair than just to buy a new one. So tomorrow is new computer day! I am working off of my phone and an old laptop, but a new Vortex Wars compatible setup is coming tomorrow.

Buy a Mac and never purchase another security program again. I switched 4 years ago and will never go back to a PC.
PandorasBx

Postby BeatlesFan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:24 am

Old habits die hard.

New PC is up and running!
BeatlesFan

Postby BeatlesFan » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:34 am

My new topic is that adult USA players need to vote!

I truly do NOT care WHO you vote for or HOW you vote on the issues at least compared with the concept that you do actually vote. If everyone voted for your preference then we would get the best overall outcome. I make no attempt to suggest what you should do when you vote, just that if you are eligible that you should vote.

No excuses, if you are eligible please cast a vote!

If it helps at all, Krispy Kreme Donuts posted that if you show up at Krispy Kreme wearing an "I voted" sticker tomorrow, you get a free donut!
http://www.krispykreme.com/ElectionDay
BeatlesFan

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion