On spamming and personal conflicts... (Rule Changes)

Debate tactics, organize matches, ask questions...

On spamming and personal conflicts... (Rule Changes)

Postby Chess435 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:23 pm

It sucks that I have to go and do this, but recent arguments on the forum have compelled me to do so. In order to help maintain order in the forums, I am implementing two new rules, one across all forums, and one specifically for the clan forums.

1. On multiposting: Many of you posters are very talkative, and like to hold long conversations on whatever topic, and that's okay, as long you stay within the rules. However, when two, three or even more posts by the same poster without any replies, it starts to hurt readability for the sake of inflating post counts. Effective immediately, all instances of triple posting or higher are now considered spamming, barring unusual circumstances. Double posting, while discouraged, will not be, simply because my workload would rise exponentially. If you have something to add to a thread and nobody has replied yet, please edit your latest post. Finally, when reporting multi-posting, please only report one post in the chain, so as not to clog up my report queue.

2. On inter-poster conflicts: I've gotten a lot of reports lately from the clan forums about people arguing on the threads about whether or not a poster should be posting on a certain clan's thread. In light of this, I'm implementing another rule, specifically for the clan forum: If a clan leader (and only the leader) asks you to leave their clan's thread, and you are not a member of that clan, you may no longer post on that clan's thread. This only applies specifically to the clans subforum. I am restricting this to clan leaders specifically to prevent conflicts between clan members about whether or not a certain poster is allowed or not.

Please note that neither of these two rules will be applied retroactively. I will leave this thread open for feedback and discussion.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo
Chess435

Re: On spamming and personal conflicts... (Rule Changes)

Postby Vortex_Master » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:37 pm

Chess435 wrote:Effective immediately, all instances of triple posting or higher are now considered spamming, barring unusual circumstances.

What of Calleharnemark's poetry thread in Forum Games? I know that she should not get special treatment, but I do not find her poems threatening, and I do not see them as spamming, but more like a blog of her feelings expressed in rhyme.
Chess435 wrote:If a clan leader (and only the leader) asks you to leave their clan's thread, and you are not a member of that clan, you may no longer post on that clan's thread. This only applies specifically to the clans subforum.

Leader meaning the person who made the topic, correct? If someone else is declared leader, or they are equal in power, then the one who is to be in charge of this rule should make the topic, no?
Make Vortex Wars Great Again!
Vortex_Master

Postby Chess435 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:44 pm

Vortex_Master wrote:
Chess435 wrote:Effective immediately, all instances of triple posting or higher are now considered spamming, barring unusual circumstances.

What of Calleharnemark's poetry thread in Forum Games? I know that she should not get special treatment, but I do not find her poems threatening, and I do not see them as spamming, but more like a blog of her feelings expressed in rhyme.

I'll probably file that under 'unusual circumstances', as long as nobody objects.

Vortex_Master wrote:
Chess435 wrote:If a clan leader (and only the leader) asks you to leave their clan's thread, and you are not a member of that clan, you may no longer post on that clan's thread. This only applies specifically to the clans subforum.

Leader meaning the person who made the topic, correct? If someone else is declared leader, or they are equal in power, then the one who is to be in charge of this rule should make the topic, no?

For the purposes of this rule, the clan leader is considered to be the current leader of the clan, not necessarily the OP. For example, if the leader of a thread goes on vacation and appoints somebody else to be in charge in the meantime, that person would have this authority, though the original leader would regain it upon their return and could revoke any decisions under this rule that their designee made.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo
Chess435

Postby Vortex_Master » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:47 pm

Chess435 wrote:
Vortex_Master wrote:

I'll probably file that under 'unusual circumstances', as long as nobody objects.

For the purposes of this rule, the clan leader is considered to be the current leader of the clan, not necessarily the OP. For example, if the leader of a thread goes on vacation and appoints somebody else to be in charge in the meantime, that person would have this authority, though the original leader would regain it upon their return and could revoke any decisions under this rule that their designee made.

Ok. I understand.

And the poetry is under "unusual circumstances," that is good to hear. (Hurray for Cate.)
Make Vortex Wars Great Again!
Vortex_Master

Postby Autumnwolf17 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:06 pm

Would a series of posts for the OP to edit with additional information be an exception? (like the first few posts of a clan page, where they are reserved)
~ Wolf
Autumnwolf17

Postby Ratburntro44 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:11 pm

What if triple post is after a week or so, in which case it is unlikely to ever be seen or replied to if it is simply an edit?
Ratburntro44

Postby Chess435 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:24 pm

Autumnwolf17 wrote:Would a series of posts for the OP to edit with additional information be an exception? (like the first few posts of a clan page, where they are reserved)

Reserved posts at the start of a thread are fine.

Ratburntro44 wrote:What if triple post is after a week or so, in which case it is unlikely to ever be seen or replied to if it is simply an edit?

If you haven't got a reply to your thread in that long, odds are nobody's interested in it. I would ask before bumping.
Chess435

Postby Ratburntro44 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:26 pm

Chess435 wrote:
Ratburntro44 wrote:What if triple post is after a week or so, in which case it is unlikely to ever be seen or replied to if it is simply an edit?

If you haven't got a reply to your thread in that long, odds are nobody's interested in it. I would ask before bumping.

What if 'tis a clan thread for a clan that does not do much discussion, and you use it simply for announcements?
Ratburntro44

Postby Autumnwolf17 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:28 pm

Ratburntro44 wrote:
Chess435 wrote:

What if 'tis a clan thread for a clan that does not do much discussion, and you use it simply for announcements?

WC won't have to worry about that. :)
~ Wolf
Autumnwolf17

Postby BeatlesFan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:59 am

Ratburntro44 wrote:
Chess435 wrote:

I would still like to know the Moderator response to this.

If a clan or even anyone as OP posts announcements - would that be a "violation" from your view?

I can see the Daily Poem, VW News, etc., updates from either a clan, or by the OP as not being a problem.

I suggest:

A clan member/leader or OP on any thread may post announcements, including double, triple, or more posts - if they do not exceed one new announcement per day .

This still gives a Mod the right/ability to lock a thread if there is a problem with it - but allows the Daily Poem by the same person, or one clan leader/member to post updates/announcements. Other than the clan page - this rule would only apply to the OP of the thread. Everyone else would still be in violation if they did it on someone else's thread.
In Vortex Wars: 50% of the game is luck. 50% is skill. The other 50% is math.
BeatlesFan

Next

Return to General discussion