Hints

Debate tactics, organize matches, ask questions...

Hints

Postby Lopdo » Tue May 08, 2012 8:59 am

There is a lot of information and no way of effectively tell it to the players so I came up with the idea of adding tips and hints to the loading screen (as is common practice in other games). I want to ask for help with coming up with ideas for those hints and also phrasing them as best as we can, they need to be short but informative. Here is couple of them so you get the idea:

- Hold shift while clicking on territory to add the maximum number of troops
- When you lose a battle in Hardcore (HC) mode, the number of troops in your attacking territory will always be reduced to 1.
- When using boosts, you spend the free (left) ones first.
- You spend attack boosts even if you win your first roll.
- You can't move your defense boosts once placed.
- If you are using the Reindeer or Snowmen races, you must have pre-paid boosts for the additional boosts to be available.
- You can mute anyone by pressing the tiny chat bubble icon next to his name.
- Your army strength is calculated according to the largest number of connected territories. Try to avoid having a lot of separate regions.
- You can use keyboard shortcuts to use boosts - 'A' for attack, 'D' for defense.
- Visit the forum at http://www.vortexwars.com/forum to share your ideas, report bugs and make new friends.
- You can change your race, background image and check your stats at the profile screen
- If someone keeps insulting you, mute him
- If you disable bonuses while creating game, you will lose both race bonuses and storage upgrades

etc... feel free to suggest more and fix spelling/rephrase existing ones. I will keep updating list with suggestions that I think that will be useful
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

- Feel free to correct all my grammar mistakes -
Lopdo
Site Admin

Re: Hints

Postby techgump » Tue May 08, 2012 9:51 am

If you are using Reindeer, you must have pre-paid boosts for the additional boosts to be available.
techgump

Location: 3rd planet from a G2V star within the inner rim of the Milky Way galaxy's Orion Arm's Gould Belt

Postby Ratburntro44 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:14 pm

I already knew all of these.

What about the boost shortcuts? Do those still exist?
Ratburntro44

Postby Lopdo » Tue May 08, 2012 1:21 pm

those hints are for people that don't visit forum regularly or are new to the game, I will add those boosts shortcuts, thanks guys, keep them coming

Lopdo
Site Admin

Postby Jokern » Tue May 08, 2012 4:24 pm

You cant move your defend boost.

Close the webbrowser is like surrender
Jokern

Postby Drone6o3 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:15 pm

Tell them about the Mute button, some people still don't know where it is.
Oh and just because you people are going to ask (chances are) I do know where it is
Drone6o3

Postby Lopdo » Wed May 09, 2012 10:58 pm

thanks for the tips, I added them to the list. Keep them coming :)

Lopdo
Site Admin

Postby Vortex_Master » Thu May 10, 2012 12:05 am

Don't always trust a player to be your ally.

Don't fall for the F5, or Alt F4 trick.

In otherwords, just don't trust users who aren't mods.
Make Vortex Wars Great Again!
Vortex_Master

Postby Bladesam » Thu May 10, 2012 3:45 am

Do we have to trust users that are mods? (;

But yeah, don't trust artificial teams.. (or guests)
A technical issue Lop: You've got "best" misspelled in the intro (at the end) and it should be "connected territories" not "territories controlled".
The post above me [Bladesam's] wins the topic! ~BetaGen
Bladesam

Postby Xtermy » Thu May 10, 2012 9:37 pm

Lopdo wrote:There is a lot of information and no way of effectively tell it to the players so I came up with the idea of adding tips and hints to the loading screen (as is common practice in other games). I want to ask for help with coming up with ideas for those hints and also phrasing them as best as we can, they need to be short but informative. Here is couple of them so you get the idea:

- Hold shift while clicking on a territory to add the maximum number of troops. If you don't have enough reserve troops left to fill a territory up to an 8, the remaining reserves will stack up as high as possible.
- When you lose a battle in Hardcore (HC) mode, the number of troops in your attacking territory will always be reduced to 1.
- When using boosts, you spend the free (left) ones first.
- You spend attack boosts even if you win your first roll. When using the Undead race, you will still spend an attack boost even if you win in the attack, yet lose the first roll.
- You can't move your defense boosts once placed.
- If you are using the Reindeer or Snowmen races, you must have pre-paid boosts for the additional boosts to be available.
- You can mute anyone by pressing the tiny chat bubble icon next to his name.
- Your army strength is calculated according to the largest number of connected territories. Try to avoid having a lot of separate regions.
- You can use keyboard shortcuts to use boosts - 'A' for attack, 'D' for defense.

etc... feel free to suggest more and fix spelling/rephrase existing ones. I will keep updating list with suggestions that I think that will be useful

My spelling fixes\add-ins are in bold inside your quote.
Xtermy

Next

Return to General discussion